"Projects" are alterations, new construction, or renovations on campus that involve multiple trades and have a cost that exceeds $5,000. All modifications to the physical structure of campus buildings and grounds must be managed by Facilities, per UNT Policy 11.009.
- Renovations to offices, classrooms, laboratories, or public areas inside a building.
- New ground-up construction of buildings or stand-alone structures, such as greenhouses or exterior storage sheds.
- Upgrades to building systems, such as heating/cooling systems.
- Equipment installation that impacts building systems, such as electrical or data communication.
Requesting an Estimate of Cost Prior to Project Initiation
Have a great idea for a project but no clue how much it might cost? We assist by providing generic pricing information so departments better understand potential budgetary impacts.
If you would like to request an estimate prior to initiating a project, please submit a Preliminary Request for Estimate (PRE) form.
- Following the instructions on the Preliminary Request for Estimate form, submit a complete form to Facilities. The form must have signatures from a Department Chair/Manager and a Dean/Director.
- Facilities will process your request and send you a confirmation e-mail with your "PRE #." That number becomes the unique identifier of your preliminary estimate.
- You will be notified when an Estimator is assigned to your request. The Estimator will contact you and schedule a meeting to discuss your request.
- The Estimator will process your information and develop a rough order of magnitude cost based on the work you describe.
- The Estimator will send you a Facilities Estimate documenting the scope and cost. This is not a Guaranteed Price and is only to be used for understanding a general financial footprint of your project idea.
Before Initiating a Project
- Obtain approval and a funding source from your department's Director or Dean.
- Submit a Space Request Form to the Office of Space Management & Planning.
Initiating a Project
- Following the instructions on the Project Initiation Worksheet, submit a complete form to Facilities. The form must have signatures from both an Account Holder and Dean/Director.
- Facilities will process your request and send you a confirmation e-mail with your "TMA #." That number becomes your unique project identifier.
- You will be notified when a Project Manager (PM) is assigned to your project request. The PM will schedule a meeting to discuss your needs for the project.
- The PM will develop a detailed scope of work and a formal estimate of cost, which will be a Guaranteed Price. The PM will meet with you to review the scope of work and cost and obtain approval to proceed. If the work impacts a floor plan and space layout, you will be asked to review them for approval.
- The project cost will be sent to you on a Project Budget Worksheet (PBW) for review and signature. Send the signed PBW to the Budget Office for their review and signature.
- Return the complete PBW to Facilities, at which time the PM will begin procuring goods and services and scheduling construction activities to begin.
- The PM will keep you informed of the status of your project during construction.
- At the end of construction, the PM will coordinate any punch list items with you and provide warranty assistance.